Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a world famous American Multinational Semiconductor Company. This is based in Sunnyvale, California. They are experts in making computer processors and related technologies.
Their main products are microprocessors, motherboard chip sets, embedded processors, graphics processors, workstations, personal computers and embedded systems applications.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is said to be the second-largest supplier after Intel. This is considered as a significant rival to Intel for x86-based microprocessors. AMD and its competitor Nvidia are the best as discrete Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) across the globe.
The company formally incorporated on May 1, 1969. Key persons behind the company are Jerry Sanders and seven of his colleagues. Intel and AMD jointly signed 10-year technology exchange agreement in October 1981. AMD acquired graphics processor company ATI Technologies on July 24, 2006.
Products of AMD
- CPUs and APUs
- Am286, Am386, Am486, and Am5x86
- K5, K6, Athlon, Duron, and Sempron
- Athlon 64, Opteron and Phenom
- ARM architecture-based designs
- Bobcat micro architecture, Jaguar micro architecture
- Puma micro architecture
- High-power, high-performance Bulldozer cores
- Zen based CPUs and APUs
- Graphics products and GPUs
- Semi-custom and game console products
- AMD motherboard chipsets
- Embedded products – Embedded CPUs, Embedded graphics
Current product lines
- CPU and APU products
1. Ryzen – brand of consumer CPUs
2. Epyc – brand of server CPUs
3. A12/A10/A8/A6 – brand of desktop and mobile APUs
- Graphics products
- Radeon – brand for consumer line of graphics cards
2. Mobility Radeon – power-optimized versions of Radeon graphics chips
3. Radeon Pro – Workstation Graphics card brand
4. Radeon Instinct – brand of server