Lalu Prasad Yadav
Lalu Prasad Yadav is an Indian politician born on 11 June 1948 in the state of Bihar and is the President of the Rashtriya Janata Dal, former Chief Minister of Bihar, former UPA Minister of Railways, and а former Member of Parliament of the 15th Lok Sabha. He was the 2nd of his parents six sons, was born in Phulwaria in Bihar to Kundan Rai and Marachhiya Devi.
Yadav is a Graduate from prestigious BN College of Patana University, Patna. Apart from this he also holds a B.A. LLB degree. After the completion of study he worked as clerk in Bihar Veterinary College at Patna where his elder brother was also a peon. In 1970, Lalu entered in student politics as General Secretary of the Patna University Students’ Union (PUSU), became its president in 1973.
Yadav married Rabri Devi on 1 June 1973, in an arranged marriage, and they went on to have 9 children, 2 sons and 7 daughters. In 1977 at the age of 29 he was elected to the 6th Lok Sabha. In 1989, he was also elected for Lok Sabha under V. P. Singh government.By 1990; he positioned himself as the leader of Yadav (11.7% of the Bihar’s) and lower castes.
In 1990, Janta Dal came to power in Bihar. He was victorious in an internal poll of Janta Party MLS’s and became the Chief Minister. In 1997, due to allegation related to Fodder Scam, a leadership revolt surfaced in Janata Dal, consequently Lalu broke away from Janata Dal and formed a new political party Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).
- 1977: Elected to the 6th Lok Sabha at the age of 29.
- 1980–1989: Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly (two terms).
- 1989: Leader of Opposition of Bihar Legislative Assembly, Chairman of Pustakalaya Committee, Convenor of Committee on Public Undertakings. Re-elected to the 9th Lok Sabha (2nd term).
- 1990–1995: Member of the Bihar Legislative Council.
- 1990–1997: Chief Minister of Bihar
- 1995–1998: Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- 1996: Lalu implicated in Fodder Scam
- 1997: Splits from Janata Dal to form Rashtriya Janata Dal.
- 1998: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (3rd term).
- 1998–1999: Member of General Purposes Committee, Committee on Home Affairs and its Sub Committee on Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension Scheme, Consultative Committee of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- 2004: Re-elected to the 14th Lok Sabha (4th term). Appointed Cabinet Minister in the Ministry of Railways in UPA govt. Lalu, wife Rabri Devi, son Tejashwi Yadav and daughter Misa Bharti booked for railway tender bribery scam, disproportionate illegal property and income tax evasion cases in 2017.
- 2009: Re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha (5th term) and disqualified in 2013 subsequent to his conviction in the first fodder scam case.
Lalu has been convicted and jailed in 2 scams, he and his family, including wife Rabri Devi, sons Tejashwi Yadav and Tej Pratap Yadav, and daughter Misa Bharti have has been charged in several other corruption cases .
- In 1996 Fodder Scam – 1st case of INR 33.61 crore scammed from Chaibasa treasury: 5 year conviction in 2013
- In 1998 disproportionate assets case
- In 1996 Fodder Scam – 2nd case of INR89.27 lakh scammed from Deoghar treasury: 3.5 years conviction in 2017
- In 1996 Fodder Scam – 3rd case of INR35.62 crore scammed from Chaibasa tresary: 5 years conviction in 2018
- In 1996 Fodder Scam – 4th case of INR 3.97 crore scammed from Dumka treasury: pending in court
- In 1996 Fodder Scam – 5th case of INR184 crore scammed from Doranda tresary: pending in court
- In 2005 Indian Railway tender scam: Lalu family booked by CB
- In 2017 Delight Properties 45 crore benami disproportionate assets and tax evasion cases: Lalu family booked by ED
- In 2017 AB Exports 40 crore benami disproportionate assets and tax evasion cases: Lalu family booked by ED
- In 2017 Patna zoo soil scam.